Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My very first blog!

Hi everyone!  This is my first blog so you'll have to bear with me as I learn all about designing and maintaining blogs.  This is an idea I've had for a long time and I guess a couple things have recently re-invigorated my desire to do this.  We are all getting to an age where it seems like everyone around is having kids.  A couple Christmases ago, I realized that on my gifts list I had 17 kids to buy for, none of whom were my own.!  I have four beautiful and beloved god-children, and many close friends with children.  And for each of them, of course, I always wanted to get the 'perfect' gift.

I don't know about the rest of you but I have spent hours wandering aimlessly around Toys R Us, Carters, and Gymboree looking for that great gift, wondering if that educational book, Thomas the Train accessory, or the cute dress would really be treasured or loved by the child.   

I started thinking how great it could be if we could all share great gift ideas that didn't involve toys.  I heard from a few parents that it was very overwhelming for their kids to get 20-30 gifts all at once at Christmas and then again for their birthdays.  I think we all want to teach the children in our lives that there is more to life than just toys, and so this blog is specifically for sharing NON-TOY ideas.

I am looking into ways to allow others to post on my blog.  For now, if you leave a comment on my post with any gift ideas, I will make sure your suggestion makes its way into an individual posting.  I want ALL ideas to be shared!  Secondly, I think I can make it so that I have multiple authors on one blog so if anyone wants to co-author with me, I can add them to the permitted authors list.

Thanks for reading and I hope all of you share your great ideas!

2 comments:

  1. hi steph! i love your blog and ideas! way to go in starting this. :) i'm totally in sync with you re: the gift-giving ideas. i feel so fortunate and appreciative to all of our friends and family for giving my two boys such great gifts at Christmas and for their birthday(s) but it is all very overwhelming. and especially at their young ages right now i don't know that the children themselves are appreciative of the many toys and clothes that get showered on them during these occasions. looking forward to hearing more of your and your readers' ideas! thanks for starting this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi again, i brought this up with another group of friends, all of whom have kids that exchange presents at Christmas and birthdays, and thought maybe we should put the money usually spent on gifts towards a donation to a cause that we could all appreciate such as the Children's Hospital Foundation. anyways, way to go with this blog Steph! :)

    ReplyDelete